Chapter 1: The first commission
== Chapter 1 ==
07/10/1836
The castle is large and terribly quiet.
For the moment I will continue searching the library for information. There are hundreds of books here. I thought I would quickly find something about these creatures, perhaps even something about my origin. It is not so simple.
Most of these ancient texts are difficult to understand. The language is archaic and the writing dense. It seems I will have to begin from the very beginning and study if I want to understand anything at all.
=> The library and the workshop are now usable
The library provides +1 Learning on the first Research or Investigation roll of each mystery.
The workshop allows the preparation of well maintained tools or well maintained weapons before a mystery.
10/10/1836
For several days I have done little besides reading and attempting to repair as many leaks in the roof as possible, though the castle seems determined to defeat me. Today, however, brought an unexpected visitor.
A man named Jorma offered to work here at the castle. He claims his family has a long tradition of serving the Society. I insisted that I would not be able to pay him, but he insisted in return that news travels quickly and that I will soon receive my first commission.
He is nearly as tall as I am and could prove very useful with the endless leaks in the roof. It is somewhat ironic that a servant now finds himself with a servant of his own.
I do not entirely dislike the arrangement.
13/10/1836
Jorma was right. News travels quickly. My arrival at the castle has clearly not gone unnoticed.
? What kind of message arrives
tbl: d6 = 6
-> a ragged carrier pigeon
? Who wrote the message
tbl: d66 = 54
-> a lawyer representing an estate
? What is the problem
tbl: d66 = 52
-> violent acts or raids
This morning a pigeon arrived carrying a letter. The poor creature looked exhausted, so I assume it must have come from quite far away.
(I threw a small stone over the map to choose randomly)
=> Result: Kajana
At first I did not recognize the name. Kajana. When I asked Jorma he was just as uncertain. After consulting several books I finally discovered the answer. Finland. Across the Baltic Sea. And with no railway connection.
According to my readings there are others like me. People who can see. I am close to discovering something. Of that I am certain.
24/10/1836
I cannot continue like this. These books are a labyrinth. One leads to another, which leads back again to the same pages. I feel as though I am becoming ill from being locked inside this castle.
Jorma still comes every day. He says he is close to restoring the servants’ quarters, though now he admits he will need payment after all. The man is clever. He has made himself indispensable, and now I find that I want him to stay.
The castle looks far better than it did a few weeks ago.
And yet I cannot spend another day locked inside these walls.
Perhaps I should leave.
Perhaps I should travel to Kajana.
Comentarios
Publicar un comentario