Chapter 0: Character creation
Hello everyone. This time, I am preparing a solo adventure for Vaesen. I had always wanted to try this game, which I discovered almost by chance and which immediately caught my attention thanks to its incredible atmosphere and beautiful artwork.
The supplement A Child of Thursday is an excellent tool for solo play. However, while reading through it, I noticed a few small gaps and mechanical issues. It was really nice to discover that the same thing had happened to YouTuber Man Alone, who created a whole new supplement called A Single Lantern.
I would like to thank this incredible content creator for introducing me to the world of solo roleplaying and for inspiring me to give it a try. I will also try to use the Solo TTRPG Notation. I will leave a link to both supplements at the end of this post.
I should also add a brief disclaimer. I own the game in its Spanish edition, so some of the translated terms or keywords I use might not match the original English wording exactly. Also, all the artwork shown here consists of fragments from the actual Vaesen book.
To begin, I decided to determine my character’s profession randomly. The result was servant, which was, in its own way, an interesting though somewhat challenging starting point.
As for his story and background, I imagined a 34 year old man, tall and thin, with a thick, unkempt beard and long, unruly hair. His clothes are worn and slightly ragged, the sort of garments that suggest a life spent on the margins.
His dark secret begins in his childhood. He was raised in the household of a noble family, surrounded by a dozen servants who essentially brought him up as one of their own.
For many years he lived without questioning his origin, until one day curiosity finally overcame him. When he insisted on knowing the truth, he was told something that had long been kept hidden: as an infant he had been a changeling, exchanged for the noble’s real child. Once the truth was discovered, the lord of the house decided to give him to the servants to raise, far from the attention of the family.
That dark secret, carried silently for years, eventually became too heavy to bear. Once he knew his origins, he left the only home he had ever known and set out in search of answers. His search gradually led him deeper into old legends, folk tales, and stories that many dismissed as superstition: tales of trolls, forest spirits, and the trickery of ancient beings.
For a long time he refused to believe any of it. Until fate forced him to.
A nearly fatal encounter with a giant changed his life forever. The trauma of that moment awakened the Sight, the gift possessed by those known as Children of Thursday, allowing him to perceive the vaesen.
Now he has arrived in Uppsala. With a revolver, a few provisions, and far more questions than answers, he stands before the gate of what will become his new home: Castle Gyllencreutz.
He reached this place by following the hints of an old woman from a psychiatric hospital who spoke to him about the Society, its purpose, and the importance of preserving it.
Now our protagonist, Rask, seeks only one thing: to explore the castle’s library and gather every scrap of knowledge he can find about the creatures that lurk in the shadows. Perhaps among those dusty books and forgotten records he will discover the answers he has been searching for.
|
The Society
RASK
Character Record · Castle Gyllencreutz · Uppsala
|
| Age | 34 | Profession | Servant |
| Resources | 2 | ||
| Motivation | Discover my true origin. | ||
| Trauma | I almost died at the hands of a giant. | ||
| Dark Secret | I am a changeling. | ||
|
Physique
4 |
Precision
5 |
Logic
3 |
Empathy
2 |
| Agility | 1 | Close Combat | 1 |
| Force | 1 | Ranged Combat | 1 |
| Stealth | 2 | Vigilance | 2 |
| Observation | 2 |
+2 Force when fighting with fists.
May choose the tens and units dice when rolling for critical injuries.
|
Physical □ Exhausted □ Battered □ Wounded □ Broken |
Mental □ Angry □ Frightened □ Hopeless □ Broken |
| Armour | Protection | Agility |
|---|---|---|
| Padded Vest | +1 | 0 |
| Weapon | Bonus | Damage | Range |
|---|---|---|---|
| Revolver d6 | +2 | 2 | 0 to 1 |
| Oil lamp | Bonus +2 |
| Travel package | 1 Resource success per journey |
|
Archive of the Society Castle Gyllencreutz · Uppsala |
Comentarios
Publicar un comentario